Malta Work Permit

February 15, 2019
Foreign workers are required to have the proper visas and work permits in Malta, as established by immigration laws.  Work permits must be secured for employees, and sponsored by a locally licensed and incorporated entity, which can be a problem for companies just entering the Maltese market.

EU/EEA Nationals
If you are an EU National that would like to work in Malta, whilst not requiring an employment license, we would recommend that you contact the EURES advisors in order to discuss with them any requirements that there might be. You can either send an email on: or call the free-phone number 8007 6505. You can also chat to Maltese advisors online via the EURES portal –
Non EU National
Employment licenses must be applied for by the employer and not by the jobseeker.
Third country nationals who are eligible for the Single Permit Application still require an employment license, which process is conducted by means of internal arrangements between ETC and the Department for Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs, some of the documentation indicated in the contents below still applies in their respect.
Documentation required
In the case of an application for a new employment license for a third country national, the process is as follows. The employer, unless it is a single permit application must fill in an application form and submit it to the Employment Licenses Unit by hand or by mail.
The following documentation needs to be provided at application stage:
(a) Application form;
(b) Curriculum vitae;
(c) Position description;
(d) References/testimonials;
(e) One passport photo;
(f) Copy of travel document;
(g) Copy of valid visa (if third country national is in Malta);
(h) Copy of qualification certificates and accreditation/recognition;
(i) Covering letter by employer indicating site of work;
(j) The fee;
(k) Evidence of search for EEA/Swiss/Maltese nationals through a detailed vacancy report.
The following documents must also be supplied, depending on the case as indicated:
(l) A valid police certificate (if the foreign national is an asylum seeker or a person enjoying Subsidiary Protection/Temporary Humanitarian Protection Status and Refugee Status;
(m) Valid certificate issued by the Refugee Commissioner in the case of THP5 s/SPs, Refugees and Asylum Seekers;
(n) Proof of long-term residence status, or of relation to long-term resident, where applicable;
(o) Evidence from a medical specialist in the case of a home-based foreign career;
(p) A power of attorney signed and attested by a Notary, Advocate or Public official, when a person applies or withdraws an application on behalf of another, in the case of a home-based career;
(q) Birth certificates of children, if not born in Malta, if application is for nanny;
(r) Proof of relationship to diplomat, if application is for family member of diplomat;
(s) Approval of the regulatory body, in the case of applications for third country nationals to perform a regulated profession;
(t) Health clearance form in the case of third country nationals already in Malta;
(u) Proof of study in Malta, in the case of students;
(v) Proof of relationship with EEA/Swiss national in the case of TCN dependent on EEA/Swiss national;
(w) Power of attorney, if application is submitted on behalf of an elderly person or a person with disability.
Further information can be founded at this link
Processing Time: 2 weeks
Cost: Third country national Long-term Residents – €58
All other third country nationals – Payable on application € 150 / Payable on issue € 80